January 30, 2009

The Words Of The Preacher

I wrote this last semester (Fall '08) for an extra credit assignment for Old Testament Survey.  It is a spoken word/poetry slam piece that I based off the book of Ecclesiastes and the life of Solomon.  Some of it is anachronistic in its expressions and cultural references, yet I believe the main thrust of the book and the theological principles contained therein remain.  Solomon was the man who had it all; politically, materially & intellectually.  This spoken word piece seeks to present the dire, hopeless vanities of empty hedonism present within the life of an individual who is seeking ultimate pleasure and satisfaction apart from a vibrant relationship with God Almighty.  I hope it ministers to you. I may be recording a live video performance of this soon because Dr. Smith said he would like to use it for his class.  I'll post up the video if I ever do that in the future.


Ecclesiastes 1:1-2, 9-11

"The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.  'Vanity of vanities,' says the Preacher; 'Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.'  So I became great and excelled more than all who were before me in Jerusalem.  Also my wisdom remained with me.  Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them.  I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure...then I looked on all the works that my hands had done and on the labor in which I had toiled; and indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind.  There was no profit under the sun."


The Words Of The Preacher


Vs. 1

Under the sun I’ve had bundles of fun/

Stacking gold to the sky, I’ve had bundles of funds/

I’ve had hundreds of hunnies numbering numerous sums/

And grub in my tummy, buddy, the food was a ton/

No stumbling dummy could sully or ruin my guns/

My government money funding was second to none/

Flexing extra-ordinary wisdom exceeding the highest/

All the kings of the earth came to me seeking guidance/ 

The greatest, my name was famous, the amazing Son of David/

Insane gifts and cadence placed me on the apex of the A-list/

It is what it is, I ain't telling you fibs/

Catch me on the latest version of Jerusalem Cribs/

I was sipping a tea/ livid, and living a dream/ 

Swimming in cream, brimming with greed, sinning extreme/

I strategized to gratify the cravings cut inside of me/

I fantasized, my fantasies became utter realities/

The quintessential player / suave and savvy/

Who else had 1,000 women who were calling him daddy?/

Imagine in your mind you’re touring the finest mansion/

I had that all that shine plus more than your eyes can fathom/

With an eye for snatching the flyest fashion/

In a mad dash for cash then I was flashing/

Sippin from a chalice in my palace, living higher than the stratus/

Undeniably the baddest / Don't believe me? find my status/

in Ecclesiastes 2:9/

I was greater than any man born before my time/

Thought I was living the high life, blessed and free/

‘Till I realized my possessions were possessing me/


Hook (Chorus):

Vanity of vanities, coming through the speakers/

Listen to me children, I’m exposing my weakness/

My goal is to warn ya, my goal is to teach ya/

So come here and listen the words of the preacher/ (2x)


Vs. 2

Under the sun, I’ve had bundles of fun/

But the fun was misleading, it's humbling son/

The pleasures were fleeting, their crumbled and gone/

Now I’m severed and bleeding, asundered and numb/

Basking in ravishing passion brought no lasting satisfaction/

Madness and outlandish laughing was the saddest bad distraction/

Trapped, smacked, jacked, backtracked and blackened/

Didn't fear God or keep the commands of the matchless captain/

I've toiled for an anvil of sin/

And all I have to show you is this handful of wind/

Barraged with a mirage of rude brews and broads/

My life wasn't lodged in the true pursuit of God/

And I regret it so badly/

Choking and feeling broken like I'm in a low valley/

Power and the pleasure in a choke-hold had me/

Not chasing after my holy daddy/

It’s ineffably distressing so you better be confessing/

Cause without your God your life will be incredibly depressing/

See I've exhausted every possible route in finding meaning/

And found out that route’s impossible without the Highest Being/

What profit is the labor, walking after paper/

Scoffing at your maker, sooner or later, the coffin’s gonna claim ya/

You see death is gonna get you/

And when death comes to get you you ain’t bringing nothing with you/

So don’t live for one-night stands and weekend plans/

Cause giving glory to God is the chief end of man/

Vanity of vanities/ the statement of my thesis/

Everything is straight up worthless without saving faith in Jesus/


Hook (Chorus):

Vanity of vanities, coming through the speakers/

Listen to me children, I’m exposing my weakness/

My goal is to warn ya, my goal is to teach ya/

So come here and listen the words of the preacher/

3 comments:

Katelyn said...

Van Michael!
This is so edifying and SICK. Thank you for posting this.

Unknown said...

Nice Van.
Wouldn't it be cool if you did this for every book of the Bible? =)
It could be an audio spoken word travels through the entire word of God giving a clear synopsis of every book. I know that would take ages. But maybe someday. It would be a good resource.

OLSOPodCast said...

brah, this is so sick. i love it man.