September 3, 2008

The Heart Of A Pastor: Gentleness

1 Thessalonians 2:7-8 "But we were gentle among you, just as a nursing moter cherishes her own children 8 So, affectionately longing for you, we were well pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God, but also our own lives, because you had become dear to us."

In these two verses I can clearly see the heart of a pastor; a true pastor. A true shepherd.  Paul says they "were gentle among [them]."  A true pastor carries about him a spirit of gentleness.  He is not rough, withdrawn, antisocial, or apathetic to his people's needs. He is not standoffish but approachable.  He is tenderhearted, loving, and a good listener.  He is firm in his convictions yet delicate in his demeanor.  He knows he is called with a high calling as the shepherd of the flock and thus must always seek to model the Great Shepherd.  He models the gentleness and compassion of Christ.  As Christ looked at the masses and was moved with compassion so the pastor looks at those who are brokenhearted, spiritually dry, or lost and is deeply moved with compassion and heartfelt care. This compassion inevitably leads him to interact with his whole flock with an undeniable spirit of gentleness.  Can people examine my life and rightly describe me as one who is humble, loving and GENTLE? May I seek to model Christ in tenderheartedness and gentleness.  " Lord, make me a gentle, tenderhearted man.  Give me zeal, passion, fire, but give me love, humility, and gentleness."  
In verse 8, Paul was pleased to impart the gospel to them.  One of the greatest joys in ministry is "imparting the gospel" to the world.  I strongly believe that the declaration of the gospel should be the focal point of any pulpit or pastoral ministry.  The gospel is the only message which carries with it the "power of God unto salvation for all who believe!"  However, Paul did not just impart the gospel to them but his "own [life]."  As important as preaching the gospel is, ministry is much more than just proclaiming and speaking truth to a people.  It is the giving up of your very life to those people in servitude unto the glory of God. "Lord, please send a godly man into my life who would pour his life into mine.  Send me a pastor who is bold, wise, gentle; one who has the heart of a true pastor. Lord, I desire a spiritual mentor who will disciple me and teach me what it means to be a real man."

No comments: